Thursday, September 22, 2005

Exultation

For the first time in a long, long time, I'm happy about something work related. And that is a really good feeling.

Around 3pm yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call and was offered a position as a Senior Software Engineer with a major company. In addition to a much, much better benefits package then what I have with my current company, the new job comes along with an almost $20,000 per year raise, and the company will reimburse me for my grad school classes after I start. Overall, that's just an amazing turn of events.

The only thing that remotely resembles a downside to the situation is the fact that I will have to relocate for the job. It's about 3 hours north of where I currently live, which will have the truly unfortunate effect of reducing the amount of time that I get to spend with my son. However, this is an opportunity that I can't afford to pass up. For the first time in my life I'll be leaving a job and starting a real career, the kind that has chances for advancement and rewards me for actually doing a good job. It's a difficult concept to wrap my brain around actually.

I've spent so long now (3 years, 8 months, and 2 weeks) working for a company where I was undervalued, poorly treated, and had literally no realistic possibility of advancement that I'm terrified of what it's going to be like to work for a company where I'm treated like the professional that I am. But it's a good kind of terrified, if that makes any sense at all...

At any rate, all I have to do now, is wait on all the paperwork and red-tape to be dealt with so that I can turn in my 2 weeks notice and move on to the real world. It'll take a few weeks for everything to get taken care of so that I can start the new job, but it'll be WELL worth the wait.

1 Comments:

At 7:13:00 AM, Blogger FlotsamCollector said...

Congratulations my friend, it is a well deserved positive step.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home